UNIPORT Lost an Undergraduate student (Olaitan B.Eng)


An undergraduate student of the University of Port Harcourt, Department of Chemical Engineering, identified as Olaitan Gbadamosi is reportedly dead in what many have alleged was a suicide act.

18-year-old Olaitan was found dead in her room in Aluu, one of the host communities of UNIPORT with bottles of insecticide, Sniper.
“She did not allow friends to visit her in her room off campus and that was why her body was discovered two days after she committed the act; her face was already swollen and black.”
One of her flatmates, who identified herself only as Vera, noted that Gbadamosi was seen around 11pm on Saturday talking to some people in the lodge.

ALSO READ: Updates on Jamb Results

“She stayed alone in her room. People in the lodge did not notice her absence on Sunday until her course mates came to look for her on Monday. They said she missed a test and that they had been trying her telephone line, which was not reachable. A few of them decided to check up on her.
“When they knocked on her door, there was no response. They alerted the security guards and tried all they could to make the door open, not knowing that she was dead.

“The security guards alerted the police and the emergency department of the university and when they arrived, they forced the door open. She was found dead. She was in the same clothes she wore on Saturday night.”
Meanwhile, some of Gbadamosi’s friends expressed shock on Tuesday as the news of her death went viral on the social media.
“You always coded things in Yoruba with Peter, so I did not understand. I did not suspect anything. Am I dreaming? I feel bad and terrible. Please check up on your friends as often as you can; not everyone who smiles with you is happy.”
“I called sometimes and we would talk about school life and other things; sometimes, she would end the call, giving excuses that she would call back. I couldn’t contact Hikmat until months ago when I got her number from a friend. To hear from her after a long time was wonderful.
“Hikmat never called back all those times and we stopped talking for days until yesterday night when I got this news and my heart is truly broken.”
The Public Relations Officer, University of Port Harcourt, Dr Williams Wodi, said he had yet to confirm the news, adding that the chief security officer of the school and the dean of students’ affairs were investigating the report.

The Rivers State Police Public Relations Officer, Nnamdi Omoni, who confirmed the incident, said investigation had commenced to ascertain the actual cause of her death.
He said, “It is a suicide case and her corpse has been deposited in a mortuary. Investigation has been ordered to ascertain the cause of her death through an autopsy. We want to know if it was what they alleged she drank that killed her or other extraneous factors.”


Reliable Web Hosting in Nigeria by DomainKing.NG

1 Comment

Drop a comment